Hero image

RWC - roadworthy requirements in Victoria

How can I get a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

A vehicle must undergo inspection and be deemed free of any alterations, deterioration or wear which may render it unsafe for normal use on the roads. It must be confirmed the car meets the standards set out under Regulation 220, prior to the vehicle being issued any certificate of roadworthiness.

Before a certificate of roadworthiness can be issued for a vehicle, the vehicle must be inspected by a licensed vehicle tester and found to be free of wear and deterioration or alterations that would make it unsafe for normal use on the road.

Why do I need a certificate of roadworthiness?

Vehicle owners are responsible for maintaining their vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition at all times but wear and tear can cause the condition of a car to deteriorate over time and modifications or alterations can impact a vehicles safety.

Testing of roadworthiness helps to lessen potential hazards to protect all road users. An RWC also protects prospective purchasers of used vehicles from buying a vehicle which could possibly be in a hazardous condition.

How much should a certificate of roadworthiness cost?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can be tricky to price. The age of the vehicle and the overall condition at the time of inspection will have an impact on the overall cost, as will the type of vehicle undergoing the roadworthy inspection. Because of this the actual cost of an RWC will vary, sometimes quite significantly.

Golden Plains Mechanical will be happy to provide a quote for the cost of the Certificate of Roadworthiness inspection before any work begins.

How long will a certificate of roadworthiness remain current?

For the purposes of a transaction, such as the sale of a vehicle, a Certificate of Roadworthiness will be considered as current for a period of 30 days from the date of issue.

Who can issue a certificate of roadworthiness?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued by a Licensed Vehicle Tester operating from a nominated facility, usually a workshop or garage. As a Licensed Vehicle Testing station Golden Plains Mechanical in Bannockburn are able to issue Certificates of Roadworthiness.

Who decides if a vehicle is roadworthy?

Neither the workshop conducting the roadworthy inspection, nor the Licensed Vehicle Tester performing the actual examination of the vehicle are responsible for setting the standards a vehicle must meet to be issued a Certificate of Roadworthiness. These standards are clearly defined by VicRoads, the licensed vehicle tester merely confirms whether the vehicle meets the standards as specified.

What are ADR's?

The ADRs (Australian Design Rules) are a set of minimum standards for the construction of vehicles and trailers. A Roadworthy Inspection may not cover all of these standards as in most cases, compliance with them cannot be assessed by inspection alone.

Expert car service

Let's get started with your booking.

Book nowContact us

Related articles

RWC - Roadworthy certificates & roadworthiness in Victoria

What you need to know about Roadworthy Certificates in Victoria...

Read more
Full car service by a Repco Authorised Service mechanic

Full car service by a Repco Authorised Service mechanic.

Read more
Roadworthy certificate checklist

If you want to be able to pass a Roadworthy Examination it helps to understand what the mechanic conducting the vehicle inspection will be considering when deciding if the car is roadworthy or not…

Read more